Eyes tracing up the vertical incline of office building's sheer face, rising up somewhere into the sky itself, he stands for a moment in wonder. Regaining his composure, he takes a deep breath, and steps inside. In the center of the gray carpeted lobby is a half circle desk, which he deliberately walks toward.
“Why hast thou entered the courts, offices, and mid-level condominiums of the gods and lesser deities?” asks the man behind the desk in a booming voice.
“I have come to seek the Room of Repentance.” He replies.
“Why dost thou seek the Room of Repentance?” the questioning voice thunders
“Here,” he replies, “look at this. Last week I received this from the Gmail-Chat Oracle, it is a message from my part-time Muse:
‘Hergoddesship: that movie just made my month!
I’m just going to luxuriate in blue and red fuzzies for a while.
Message received Tue 4:43pm’
I received the oracle, but in my heart I did not believe. But now all that she said has come to pass. I have seen it with my own eyes. And now I have come to repent of my sin.”
“Very well.” The mighty voice answers “thou will have access to the Room of Repentance. Thou must sign this waiver form, and I shall need from thee a $50 deposit for the room. I shall inform Her Goddeship that you await her presence in the Room of Repentance.”
Her Goddesship sweeps into the Room of Repentance, torchlight brilliantly shimmering on her silver sequined toga as she enters her private box. From her throne she looks out over the Room: a Roman-circus shaped arena dimly lit by torches scattered throughout. From the far side of the arena comes the low sound of a repeated chant from a dozen robed figures.
“Dea musea, miserere nobis. *smack* Dea musea, miserere nobis” *smack* Dea musea, miserere nobis” *smack*…”
Gradually, the rhythm of the chant increases in speed and volume until the chant ends and in its place begins the soundtrack for “Spectacular! Spectacular!” The torches are extinguished and spotlights in blue, red, and purple hues dance across the arena floor. Twenty men in tuxedos and top-hats run to center stage and in perfect synchronism make a turn, landing on one knee, facing the lady’s box.
“We who are about to dance, salute you!” they cry as they raise high their top hats and silver tipped canes. Immediately, they begin their tap dance routine.
During the climax of the lights, music, and dance, a stage rises from the center of the arena floor. On the stage is one man; one man holding a microphone, gazing intently on the muse he sings:
"How wonderful life is, now that you're in the world!"
The orchestra swells to the culminating phrase, then quiets, trailing off till only the silence remains. All eyes are on the lady as she holds out her hand in the gesture of judgment…
1 comment:
*claps* Truly we are gratified by such earnest salutations of devotion and repentance. It was done well.
note: The ability to clap with one hand is a sign of existential plurality.
Post a Comment