Thursday, July 03, 2008

my spanish prof. has a sense of humor

So, I had a mid-summer evaluation on Wed. Just before I started the test, my maestra (teacher) asked me "do you have any questions?"

Um-huh. Obviously she didn't hear me when I told her that I study philosophy. It is dangerous thing to ask a philosopher if he has any questions. Only slightly more foolish is to start a land war in Asia.

Anyway, I resisted the urge to get her opinion on the metaphysical reality of accidental qualities, and, instead said: "Yes maestra, one question: why are there so many irregular verbs in the past tense in Spanish?" I asked, with mock innocence.

We both laughed, but then she stopped short and said "no, seriously, let me tell you the reason why there are so many irregular verbs."

"They are there to aggravate Americans who study Spanish."

She was joking.
I think.

No comments: