Yesterday was one of the most interesting days that I have had since I've been here. It all started when one of the other american students said "hey, there is this Bus and I don't know where it goes. Anybody wanna go find where a random bus leads to?"
Well, I had no plans for the weekend, so that sounded like as good as anything.
We left in the morning on a bus that, as we suspected, brought to the center of town. It was a busy and beautiful Sat morning--a perfect time to see the city. Most of the time in the morning was spent finding religious book stores (a pet hobby of almost any seminarian).
By midday we had met with a few other students and then found another bus that brought us to a suburb of the city called Talaquepaque (sp?) which is a big tourist stop. The nice thing about going to tourist areas is that they are usually cleaner and more attractive than the real cities. We ended up having a late lunch at a really wonderful restaurant simply called "The Patio". We had a taste-test platter of all of their appetizers and enjoyed some of their Two-for-One margaritas, all while being serenaded by Mariachis. Good food, good music, good times.
Then, in the evening, we made our way back to the centro for a live show. The Ballet Foclorica puts on shows every Sat night in July, and we managed to get some tickets. "Ballet Foclorica" could be described as the Mexican version of Riverdance. Lots of very traditional dancing, music, and spectacle. They are very good, so it was an excellent show. By the time it finished, it was already 10pm and we caught a taxi back home, exhausted from a long, but fruitful day.
I entitled this post "an interesting day" and not "a great day" because although everything throughout the day went very well, I was not feeling well. In fact, ever since I got sick last weekend, I have not been feeling poorly. Mostly the trouble seems to be in my stomach, which refuses to accept food in large portions, and the rest of my digestive track, which refuses to process the food with efficiency. It has been that way for about a week without change, and I only hope that I will overcome whatever this is soon.
Today I'm relaxing and catching up with bloging, etc. Hopefully I will get started on some homework too. Spanish verbs are very complicated. Adios!
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hope you feel better Matt!
Keep poppin' those Peptos ;)
Post a Comment