Tuesday, September 26, 2006

This week

I am asking myself right now: "Matt, what do you have to blog about?"
My answer: "nothing really, but I should post something this week."
Yes, this sort of internal dialogue happens often.

I did my first session for my ministry last night. I am teaching a class on the Creed to adults at a nearby parish. I kinda figured that the first night would be tough, and I was right. I have a lot of rough edges to work out on my preparation, style, and presentation. But that's ok--I have all year to perfect it!

The weather here in Houston finally decided to accomidate the arrival of fall with a few days of nice weather. I can hardly beleive that the time is flying by so fast. I'm already thinking about mid-terms and my fall break even though I feel like I haven't even gotten fully into the rhythm of this semester yet.

I've started playing the upright bass for the music at the Spanish mass here at seminary. Gosh, that is a fun instrument to play! The fingering is very natural--far more intuative than the whole fret thing on a bass guitar. It's completely acoustic and yet has such a big sound. You can feel it when you play. We could definately use one of those for the band.

And speaking of the band, that is the other big news: Without the Alps is gearing up for a New Year's Eve Dance! All the essentials are in place and now comes the fun part of deciding a playlist and practicing the arrangements. This year: Pflugerville!--Next year: the world tour!!
"Without the Alps gets music out of the hills and into the swing."
--Kip Parsons, Daily Variety

Goodnight everybody!

7 comments:

Angelie said...

Aw, poor Matt...no excitement. Hopefully you'll have interesting stuff to post on soon.
P.S. Sixteen days!

Myth said...

I've been asked about my Christmas plans so many times already. What I've said is that I hope to be home a week or two prior to Christmas and come home immediately after, though it depends on job flexibility...

Teaching gets easier as you go along, see what works, what doesn't. You know, from my minimal experience. You sound far more excited about it than I ever did!

Myth said...

Err. Go home a week or two before Christmas and come back to TX immediately after, I mean. Rather confusing slip of words.

Anonymous said...

Woah, you guys got in the newspaper? Awesome! We'll probably be comming down for new years again, so I can't wait to go to the dance!

Good luck with your semester, I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Matthew Kinney said...

Ms Drunkenferret,
"Kip Parsons" from the "daily variety" is a reference to a fictional charecter in the musical that your sister wrote for us. Kip was constantly creating headlines with puns, a style that I was trying to imitate.
Obviously, however, nobody thought is was that funny.

Myth said...

You're missing Jeff's delivery of the words. I liked the quotation here. It just didn't come with quite the same energy ;-)

Angelie said...

Eleven days!!!!!