Thursday, December 13, 2007

frigid temperature, frigid temperment


pic by StudioQube at DeviantArt

We had a lovely Christmas Tree blessing and lighting ceremony last night. All the kids came over after their RE classes and many others from the parish came just to enjoy some cookies and cocoa, sing some carols, and, of course, put an ornament on our newly blessed and lit tree. Also, because it was the eve of St Lucy's day, St Lucy (bedecked in her traditional robe, sash, and crown with candles. very cute.) came to join us and help us celebrate. Seeing as her name means "light" (Latin, Lux/"Lucy" = light) it was very appropriate to have her plug in the tree lights. All in all, it was good, fitting, and right.

It was also cold.

That's really what this post is about. It was cold last night. As I was preparing to go outside, someone asked, "do you have a bigger coat? You might get cold." I was quick to respond that I did have another coat, and, not to worry, I was planning on wearing both of them. I am quite familiar with joy-sapping weather that sends your whole body into violent shivers in an attempte to create vital heat only to be brushed away by every slight and icy breeze.

As I stepped out into the frigid drizzle that overshadowed this evening, I smiled an ironic smile. Besides the holy hymns, they also sang the secular songs of the season--I remember specifically Jingle bells--and I realized that some twisted mind must actually enjoy the winter so much as to write a song about it. And not just any song, but a happy, upbeat, catchy, addictive song. There is an 3vi1 (evil) at work here.

And now you will see why I added that lovely picture at the top of my post. Besides being a lovely piece of art (disclaimer: not mine. I lie in bed dreaming of being half that good of an artist), it catches a lovely sentiment: watching the snow from behind a window. Notice, she even has a mug next to her with a hot drink, a little something to warm body and soul. It's the best of both worlds. You get to enjoy the beauty of the snow AND the lovely warm feeling of...being warm. It's kind of like singing "Let it snow" in Texas. You can enjoy the song with no fear that the weather might actually obey your lyrical commands.

The clouds have passed today and out my office window I see the morning star sharing his light and brilliance, his energy and warmth with every inch of the broad Texas sky. I hear that Oklahoma got pummeled by an ice storm and that this week the Northeast is entertaining some blizzards. You know, there isn't hardly a done goes by I can't find another reason why I'm glad God brought me to Texas.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh, the cold is not to be enjoyed for its own sake, but as an excuse to snuggle up next to someone and enjoy (Irish) coffee or (spiked) hot cider in front of a fireplace. So, JPII may not agree, but I see my 'end' justifying your 'evil' means.

HA!

While sharing a thought about a quintessentially trivial topic (the weather) I managed to include romance, adult beverages, fire, the pope, theology and philosophy!

In two sentences.

Matthew Kinney said...

*slow claps that escalate into a standing ovation *
Bravo! Bravissimo!!

I am a humble enough man to know when I am beat. Point!--one point to man about to get hitched!

Jeffrey Kinney said...

Matteo,

Not to pile on, but you have chosen to interpret the snow and cold in extreme cases: blizzards, storms, sleet, etc. There is no mention of the enjoyment of the cold weather: flurries of fat, wet snowflakes turning the world a blanket of white, snow angels, snowmen and catching snowflakes with your tongue. Even Calvin and Hobbles, despite their trials over the years yearned for the first snowfall in pure delight. Brian has already addressed the other pleasing aspects of the cold outside == warm inside paradox, so I will only apply this question: would it make sense to build a fire in my fireplace and roast marshmallows with my children? There is something inherently evil in s'mores in hot weather and, conversely, inherently good about their sticky warmth on a evening when, as they say "The weather outside is frightful".

This leads to my next point. You have sampled only from the positive aspects of the warmth of Texas, while missing the inherent failings. Not the least of this is the inability to spend any significant time outside between the hours of 11am and 5pm during the summer without being gooped up with sunscreen. And while I will never be negative about the aspects of a good swim on a hot day, one must have a place to swim as well as the opportunity.

I will freely admit I have an innate appreciation for the colder weather that my siblings and parents have lost (or never had). However, the changing of the seasons is a way of tracing time. Chill winter winds and soft snw are as much part of the cycle as laying on soft grass on a hot summer day, a stroll though a path of color drenched leaves or the pungent aromas of spring flowers. Remove one (or more) from this cycle, and, in my mind, it is all diminished. Hence, while I appreciate Texas for what it gives me (year round summer-like conditions) I would choose to participate in this full cycle each year, regardless of the minor inconveniences the weather holds.