Is it really December? I don't know whether this is an effect of me getting older/more mature (a questionable proposition from the get-go) or if it's just because I'm in a different environment. Or maybe my shoes are too tight, or my heart is three sizes too small. Whatever the reason(s), I hardly feel like it is Christmas time.
I guess I'm waiting for the Traditions, like setting up the tree and spending two days baking cookies and listening to Kevin play Mannheim Steamroller Christmas on the piano. Without these...how does one know that it is really happening? My brain knows that it is Dec 10, my body knows that it is cold again, but my affections refuse to attach themselves to this unfamiliar soil.
I think I need to buy Christmas lights to hang in my room.
Monday, December 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have the same problem, despite decorating the house and singing all sorts of Christmas songs and buying ingredients to make candy. I'm hoping maybe it'll kick in once school stops and I have a chance to slow down (haha) or at least focus more on preparing for Christmas, but we shall see.
I find both of your posts (Matthew and Bronwyn) odd - I have been quite happy with the fact that I have not had any particular urge to play or sing Christmas music or do other festive things. On the other hand, I know we'll have plenty of partying soon enough, and I'll be happy I waited so it doesn't feel stale during the actual celebration. Call me a crazy fundamentalist, but I say "abstain until Christmas".
@ Brain
I see your sentiment about not wanting Christmas to be "stale" when it arrives, but I find Christmas not so much to be like fresh bread, but like marinated beef: it takes time for seasonings to settle in.
I still feel like I need to sit in the seasonal seasonings to marinate for a while longer before I'm ready.
That's my thoughts as well. It's part of the preparation for me; without feeling like it's Christmas time I also don't feel like I'm waiting for Christmas. Granted there's a lot more preparation to advent than just the feeling of waiting, but as it's feelings we're talking about....
Post a Comment