Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Magic blue smoke left

I have the unhappy news to report that yesterday afternoon the power adapter on my laptop started overheating, making sparking noises, and smelling of burnt silicon. Although the defective device did not set my room on fire, nor even damage my laptop, I will not have access to that computer until I have a replacement part.

I took the peice to John Kim, our resident computer god, who first remarked about how he loved the smell of burnt silicon (the sign of a true geek if there ever was one) and then helped me find an exact replacement, a process that took him about 5 mins adn woudl have taken me several hours. 4ll h31L t3h c0mpu+3r g0dz!!! The part should arrive in a couple days, maybe a week.

In the meantime I have to take notes by paper and pencil (a truly barbaric and uncivilized process) and you may notice a significant lack of my presence on the normal channels (gchat, email, etc.) Right now I am reduced to making this post from the *twinge of pain* library computer, but at least I can be thankful I don't have to go to that hideous computer lab. The loss of my laptop is profoundly diorienting. It's as if I lost a hand or one of my senses or part of my memory--I am lessened. Part of my soul has fallen into hibernation mode and I cannot awaken it...

3 comments:

Jeffrey Kinney said...

Breaking your rules aren't you? Or is this so obvious that the 733t and n00bz can translate it?

4ll h31L t3h c0mpu+3r g0dz == all hail the computer gods

Matthew Kinney said...

You're right, I did break the l33t r00lz ("leet" rules). I was in a hurry to finish teh post.

M354 thX d00d! joo bR0k d4 c0d3. (Sir, your assistance in translation is greatly appreciated.)

Jeffrey Kinney said...

ph34r |\/|7 m4d 5ki11z d00d! ("Your appreciation is well-founded")