Sunday, February 18, 2007

Aspiring Manga-ka

hehehe,

I decided to go ahead and buy the Megatokyo books. Besides being a delightful story, lovable characters, and LOL funny, they are have some fine artwork. Thus, studying at the metaphorical feet of Piro-sensei, my drawing skills are also improving. (Yuki-san should try learning this way. It is way easier than her attempts to get lessons).
Below are two pages that I finished this afternoon. First is a freehand copy out of Megatokyo. "Pirogoeth" is the name of the girl who is glaring back at the character in the foreground. The second pic is a redux of the digital pic (third pic) I took this during the summer . The original sketch is a little old, and some of the faces are not as good as I could do now. Nathaniel is a little disappointing. But Brendan's turned out great. Something about his oh-so-serious face that is just delightful. I really could do a whole series of action comics based on the adventures that those boys have with their costumes. Maybe someday I will.
And now that the Without the Alps t-shirt competition has begun, I have even more motivation to advance in my virtue with pencils.



7 comments:

Myth said...

I clearly haven't spent enough time at the right house recently. T-shirt competition?

Jeffrey Kinney said...

Bronwyn,
Recent activity as of Friday. Elizabeth has connections where she can get photo T-shirts printed for $3 apiece. We're looking into the possbilities, but Brian and I feel like our ugly mugs should not be ON a T-shirt. As such, we have opened a competion for all respected artists to contribute a design. Ideas have included individual icons (ex: tap shoes for Sarah, bass for Brian) or anime-style replacement characters (guess who thought of that?). Anxiously looking forward to any contribution you might have!

Jeffrey Kinney said...

Matt,
Fabulous art! While I know you're critical of your own work, I'm sure my sons will love it. I have printed them out a copy to color and adorn their walls with. Any plans for a short run comic based on these intrepid warriors?

Angelie said...

kawaii <3!!!

Matthew Kinney said...

I've had ideas to write about the "intrepid warriors" for a while now. But the ideas keep mixing together with a larger story-arc. You see, their adventures are only real to them (ala Calvin and Hobbes). The young adventurers must bridge the gap between the demands of their quests and the demands of their parents (where is justice when bedtime conflicts with a crucial effort in saving the world! how can you put a time-limit on fighting evil!!)
But, as I said, this is all part of a larger story. stay tuned...

Jeffrey Kinney said...

Hmm. Just to be clear, I would like to be seen is a better light than Calvin's dad was.

Matthew Kinney said...

no no no, not at all. I hate those "kids are smart and cool; adults are stupid and evil" garbage that modern Disney tends to produce. My tendency is to go quite the opposite.

Besides Jeff, you have a sword--a real sword--in your bedroom. And a whole costume to go with it. How cool is that?