Monday, April 24, 2006

Smile for a Monday

An Augustinian and a Thomist walk into a bar. After the two had ordered, the Augustinian looked up at the Thomist,
"Cheer up. True, Augustine is the central theologian of the Church. I mean, he wrote eloquently and formatively on every topic of doctrine and every dogma and he saved God from having to write a Third Testament. But Thomas was privledged to compile and categorize all of Augustine's writings."

When the dust settled and the blood was cleaned up a half an hour later, the bartender vowed that from then on he would enforce a strict theological segregation in his establishment.

3 comments:

Angelie said...

Huh? Well, granted, them's fighting words, although there's something lacking as far as punchlines go.
"Take it from me, whenever you see a bunch of buggers puttering around talking about truth and beauty and the best way of attacking Ethics, you can bet your sandals it's all because dozens of other poor buggers are doing all the real work around the place."
-Small Gods

Matthew Kinney said...

Yeah, I picked up the main section of the joke in a different context and I was trying to adapt it for my own purposes. I guess the timing still needs more work.

Myth said...

Well, punch line or no, it did make me smile (Monday night as well as today).