Tuesday, November 20, 2007

lotsa liturgy

A musician working at a parish can be a lucrative combination...especially when you get swamped with funerals and weddings. How many other people can double their monthly earnings in a span of five days?
Alright fine, that probably says more about my monthly income than about my demand as a musician.
Since I've been here at my assignment, I've been quickly bumped to everyone's "A List" musician for these special liturgies. Part to do with my availability ("can you say 'always'?"), part to do with my abilities as both singer and accompanist (only one check that way), part to do with my smooth tones (yes, people compliment my voice), and also because I'm not old and grumpy and inflexible...yet. But if one more person asks me if I can play "When I get where I'm Going" during the funeral mass, I just might become rather grumpy and/or inflexible. Stupid Brad Paisley.
Because besides the wedding last Sat, another this Sat, the 3 funerals this week, the five baptisms that I didn't attend, and the one baptism I did, the Deacon is out of town to visit family, so the communion services (Mon and Tue) fell to me. Some weeks are busy with teaching/preaching. This week has been my special liturgy week. I would feel overwhelmed if the two overlapped, but right now it's not too busy (it can't be, if I have enough time to write a blog post.)

In other news, I finished Season 1 of Heroes. I have to say, I really like the series. There were several "ohdudethatwassooooCool!" moments that just really made the whole thing worthwhile. And they usually dealt with the suspense and mysterious elements surprisingly well (Season 2 is delinquent in that regard). The ending was a little anticlimactic for me. "How do you stop an exploding man?" Well, off the top of my head I can come up with several ideas that don't involve murder...Claire has experience in that area actually. Peter needed to jsut stop and think about that one for a second.
I'm still drafting together my list of superhero traits from the series to compare and contrast it with other superhero worlds. Trait #1: no costumes or masks (awww!). Trait #2: no sidekicks (except Ando), and almost no consistent cooperation (i.e. superhero 'teams'). Trait #3: very international/multicultural group (kinda reminds me of seminary).

If I don't get to it later this week, Happy Thanksgiving! I've been saying in my homilies all week that people should be thankful for Religious Freedom. It is definitely on my Top Ten list of things I'm thankful for; probably on my Top 5. What are you Thankful for?
Cheers!

No comments: