There is abig to-do around the seminary today. Our local Archbishop Joseph Fiorenza has just rececived the accecptance of his retirment request. Which means that the co-adjitur, Daniel DiNardo, is now asceending to the role of Archbishop. The Houston natives and semianarians are all quite excited, and I'm almost surprised not to hear "Habemus Archepiscobam" ringing through the halls.
I'm not directly effected by this--I belong to the Holy Diocese of Austin--but Houston is my metropolitain center (why Austin is under Houston and not San Antonio is a geographical anomily), and more important, Archbishop DiNardo has a desire for Catholic education, and undoubtably has his eyes set on some renewal at St. Mary's Seminary. The rumors floating around vary ("we'll start wearing cassocks to mass"?), but one thing is for certain: for various reasons (unrelated to the Archbishop) about half of the formation staff at St Mary's is leaving the end of this year. The result is going to be changes, and definately under the influence of DiNardo.
I really don't know a lot about the new Archbishop, but the people around here that I know are conservative are excited about this apointment. And we could use a bit of excitement here in the seminary.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh Matthew- I just laughed myself sick imagining the reaction if I showed this post at work. Local excitement at....the seminary! Truly we lead fascinating lives these days.
Well, you really have two interpretations for this post.
1) my life is really that boring, 2) my dry sarcasm is has hit desert-like proprotions.
Bigger than the Texas desert? *Falls off of chair in shock* Don't scare me like that!!
Post a Comment