Monday, March 03, 2008

green over gold

The tree outside my office window is starting to show new leaves. It's the first thing that I've really noticed responding to the immenent arrival of spring. I'm rather looking forward to it. This'll be the first time in years that I've spent the spring-time here in Central Texas.

We have only a few precious days left, then, to the golden days of winter. I say "gold" not because of their worth, but simply because of the colors. As I have been driving through the roads between Cove and Austin, I have been continually struck at how sepctacular the countryside is wash with its mix of yellows, gold, tan, brown, and grey. The gold-bright sunshine plays upon the subtle shade changes and the mix of textures through the hills, grass, shrubs, rock. Of course, that is only the lower-half the background. The pure blue sky is the perfect contrast to the ground below. And when dusk comes, the sunset lights the dome gold, making heaven match the earth.

Soon the green (and blue, and red, and yelllow) of spring will overtake the winter tones and we shall have a whole new glory to enjoy. But I thought it was worth noting what many simply write off as the "dead" winter season.

No comments: