Friday, October 26, 2007

Oni-Con


Well, it was a mixed weekend. Due to an unfortunate series of circumstances, the contingency from Univ. Dallas couldn't make it, which left Domenicus and myself on our own for the weekend. Dom and I can fend for ourselves pretty well, so I think we made good on the situation enjoying such diversions as Hot Fuzz, Kill Bill, a large homecooked meal celebrating the Canadian Martyrs, Soul Caliber, and, as the pics would indicate, Oni-Con.
It is customary to attend these conferences in the costume of some favorite comic/anime character. I came as "Junpei", the l33t ninj4, and Domenicus as "Dom", the Evil Sega hitman (as a side note, when describing Dom's character, the real Dom remarked how "I want a job like that." The resemblances were alarming enough without that comment...)
The pictures didn't come out too good, and I wimped out at the last moment before actually coloring my hair (black, with red streaks). All things considered, I think Dom's costume was more successful, not to mention cheeper. Oh well, maybe more luck for me another occasion. Sadly, I found only one other visible Megatokyo fan, a middle aged man who was wearing a Megatokyo t-shirt--no costume.
But the rest of the conference was filled with a huge number of amazing costumes. Possible 80% of the attendees were cosplaying, some of them with alarmingly accurate costumes like Fuu (Samurai Champloo), Vash (Trigun), the hero from Halo, Nightmare (Soul Caliber), Jet (Cowboy Bebop), and what seemed to me as enough cosplayers to fill the play the entire cast of Bleach (yeah, wow. there were a lot of Bleach cosplayers.)
In the end, I have to say that the costumes were fun to make and to wear, and it is my opinion there should be more costumes parties in this world.

No comments: