Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Canonically Instituted Acolyte

Sunday, October 8th, the members of St Mary's second year theology class were called to serveas Acolytes for the Roman Catholic Church by Bishop Ochoa, El Paso. I was one of those called. Called, chosen, comissioned, I am a permanant Eucharistic minister and servant to the priest at the Altar of God.

Of course, I've done those things already, but it is exciting to accept this call from the Church to go further into service of her people. It is a marker, charting my progress toward ordination--and a good excuse for a party! The better portion of my family came to Houston for the celebration and to spend the weekend with me. It was great fun, including, but not limited to, a trip to the Gulf Shore beaches on Galveston, building a 6 foot tall sand castle (hehehe), watching my nephews play frisbee in the Marian coutyard, and celebrating my birthday at Memorial Park. This was the first time many of my family had seen the seminary, so I also had the pleasure of giving a brief tour of the school grounds. The visit ended all too quickly. The family returned to Austin, leaving behind their beloved Matt; I left my family, returning to my despised mid-terms preparations.

Good news is that the worst of mid-terms are done, and I'm basically looking at a blissful dispensation of leisure for the next week. This weekend is our Fall Break, which I am celebrating by spending an elysian weekend in Philie with HerGodesship (a.k.a. Benhimine). 2 1/2 days!

And that's the news for today. Pax vobiscum!
--MJK

4 comments:

Myth said...

You should have warned me; I could have got a picture of you studying ;-) That poor boy doesn't seem to be concentrating too hard.

Matthew Kinney said...

Actually, getting a picture of me studying can be a very difficult thing. It's happening less and less these days.
Ergo, the drawing was rather accurate.

BTW everybody: thanks to Bronwyn for the pics!

Angelie said...

I still maintain that large tome is actually a book on hair care and beneficial dyes.

BZ said...

matt! how was my house? did they miss me, or were you too nice of a distraction for them to remember me? did you like my sheet music? (which I sorely miss... :( )